Thursday, December 3, 2009

Rain - How I Describe It

Rain - it is something that for some reason has so much meaning to it which is how I came up with the name of my blog. There are different kinds of rain but in the end a beautiful rainbow appears and the skies brighten. Life is much like this in my opinion. You see we all go through different things in our lives, good times and bad but each day presents itself new just like no rain shower is the exact same. Sometimes the rain comes in a fine mist, leaving us a little damp but not enough to effect us too much. In life, we encounter different things that play the same role. Money is a little tighter than we would like, a friend doesnt call when we expect it, a trip gets canceled that we were looking forward to. Things of this nature pass quickly and usually dont leave a large mark in our minds or hearts. Then there are the sudden showers. The ones that come about suddenly without warning. A child wakes sick in the middle of the night or the car breaks down when we are running late. Something that throws us off our our plans but we adjust. Then there are the downpours - the ones that seem to keep going and going. It seems like one bad thing after another occurs with no end in sight. Everything appears dark and dreary. These are the toughest to get through, especially if you are not leaning on Our Savior. I have encountered all of these times of "showers" in my lifetime and expect to encounter all of them again at some point. However, how we make it through these different times is what shows our character. It is easy to give up in the downpour, to lose hope, to feel like nothing matters anymore. It is much harder to stand and say "Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord! (Psalm 27:14)" However, as Christians this is exactly what we must do. We must endure the storms of life because we know that the Rainbow will come. This time on Earth is not our ultimate destination. We are just hear for a little while until our chosen time. Every day is a new day and we must treat it that way. One of my favorite poems is Footprints in the Sand.

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there was one only.
This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from anguish,
sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints,
so I said to the Lord,
“You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life
there has only been one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me?”
The Lord replied,
“The years when you have seen only one set of footprints,
my child, is when I carried you.”


I am so thankful that My God carries me when I am weak and never leaves my side when things are going well. I am thankful for every storm because the storms are what help mold me into the person God wants me to be. Nothing we encounter is unplanned. I quote a phrase very often in my life. "God will never give me more than he knows I can handle." I am thankful for that. He knew the story of my life before I was even thought of by my Earthly mom and dad. I thank Him for the sunshine in my life that is starting to peak out again. And I am thankful that He has always brought me "Through The Rain" and will continue to do so!

My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken. (Psalm 62:1-2)

No testing has overtaken you that is not common to everyone. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it. (1 Corinthians 10:13)

No comments:

Post a Comment